I can’t recall the last time I actually created a list of New Year’ resolutions. Setting goals is something I do throughout the year, and I typically give myself at least 30 days to track my progress and see objectives through. But lately, I’ve found myself in a rut that has already led to parental burnout — and we’re just a couple of days into 2020.
So I told myself (and my best friend Luwam) that I was going to make a firm commitment to 20 self-care practices this year. Not to mention, blogging about it adds another level of accountability.
Well, here they are, including a few notes on where I stand with actually putting in the work:
- Start each morning with prayer or meditation.
- Attend yoga community class once a week.
- Return to therapy… with a black woman therapist. Researched experts and hoping to setup consultation/first appointment very soon. Though the number of black women therapists who actually accept insurance is rare, and why I’m pretty sure so many of us go without seeking professional help. This MUST change!
- Take monthly mother-and-son trips.
- Assess my spending and stick to a budget. I’m a huge fan of budget apps like Mint and CreditKarma and I are real friendly, but I took it a step further and invested in a physical budget planner.
- Stick to weekly deep-conditioning hair treatments. I somehow managed to squeeze this in on Sunday evening! And I love the results I get from Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask.
- Read for at least 1 hour a day.
- Write down 3 things I’m grateful for before bedtime.
- Laugh out loud daily. Black Twitter is my main source of humor.
- Allow myself to do a cleansing cry, whenever and wherever necessary.
- Reconnect with family and friends.
- Treat myself to monthly mama pampering sessions. Alexa, play Tank “Maybe I Deserve”!
- Allow family to take care of me.
- See more of Philadelphia. I’ve lived in virtually nearly every neighborhood in this wonderful city, but there’s so much more for me to experience.
- Learn a new skill each month. I’m determined to get basic sewing down.
- Floss my teeth like a boss. I slacked off — period. But my gums are thanking me for getting back on track.
- Invest in quality running sneakers. Done and done. Awaiting the arrival of my Asics.
- Volunteer my time and resources to women, children in need.
- Purge my closet/home every quarter. Ever since I worked with Amanda Jefferson of Indigo Organizing, I’ve been able to “let go” of a lot of things, figuratively and literally.
- Take social media “breaks.” The constant scrolling is quite debilitating and can keep me up a night.
Hey Beauties: What self-care practices are you committing to in 2020 and beyond? Let’s hold one another accountable! Share in the comments section below.